Alzheimer’s Activities – 6 Things To Do With Alzheimer’s Patients
Finding things that you can do with the person that has Alzheimer’s disease or dementia should be based on the persons ability as well as the time you can devote to the activity itself.
Here are 6 types of activities that the person with Alzheimer’s might enjoy:
1. Physical activities: Take a walk, toss a ball, lift light weights, wash the car
2. Social activities: Talk, play cards or board games, visit friends, go out for coffee or a meal
3. Creative activities: Paint, play a musical instrument.
4. Intellectual activities: read a book, do a cross word puzzle
5. Work related activities: Type, make notes, fix something.
6. Spiritual activities: Pray, attend a service, sing a hymn.
Planning activities for the person with Alzheimer’s disease is best when you can continually explore, experiment and adjust. Always consider the person’s strengths and abilities; as well as their likes and dislikes.
source: Alzheimer’s Association